Black ice causes some school delays
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Some welcome rain across the region froze on roads in some northern central North Carolina counties overnight - causing black ice and delaying school.
Rainfall amounts ranged from over one half inch in northern areas to a quarter of an inch to the south.
As the light rain ended Wednesday evening, some areas saw a few snow flurries near the Virginia border. By morning, temperatures fell into the mid 20s to near 30.
Road conditions delayed school by two hours in Alamance-Burlington Schools, Caswell County Schools, Granville County Schools, Mecklenburg County Schools (VA), Person County School, and Roxboro Community School.
Officials advise drivers to watch out for slick spots during their morning commute.
Meanwhile, weather moving up the East Coast is also causing problems at the Raleigh-Durham International Airport.
A major snow storm is causing delays in travel plans for thousands of passengers.
Officials are advising travelers to call airlines before arriving at the airport.
transportation, raleigh durham airport, local/state
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes hungry
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- Man charged with stealing names, SS numbers from soldiers
- Man struck, killed on I-95 in Selma
- Shearon Harris back in operation
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Appeal to be heard in Jason Young case
- Police: Teen in custody shot himself
- Pilot who crashed at SFO worried about landing
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Prosecutor: no domestic charges against Zimmerman
- Wake schools bus shows up hours late
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help