Torch sparked fire at daycare
RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK (WTVD) -- A contractor is being blamed for a fire at a daycare center in Research Triangle Park.
Firefighters were called to a fire at the Bright Horizons Daycare center off of T.W. Alexander Drive on Tuesday evening.
More than 50 children, from infants to preschoolers, were evacuated by the daycare’s staff.
Chief Robert Andrews of the Bethesda Volunteer Fire Department said smoke was coming out of the back of the building when firefighters arrived. He also said the staff at Bright Horizons got the children out in a timely manner, or it could have been a lot worse.
A report from the fire says flames were sparked when a flooring crew from LDR Flooring was using a hand-held torch near flammable glue. The glue was being used to install vinyl tiles.
The label on the glue says it should not be used near open flame, pilot lights or any devices that might spark.
The regional manager of the daycare said that the work was being done in one part of the building, while the children were in another part of the building and were never in danger.
ABC11 Eyewitness News reached out to the contractor responsible for the renovations. The owner of Harris Construction did not want to comment.
Crews were working at the daycare on Thursday, and cleanup from the fire was also underway.
Children were also safely back inside the building.
research triangle park, local/state, shae crisson
- Police investigate apparent murder-suicide
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Okla. tornado damage: Thousands of homes, $1.5-$2B
- Racial Justice Act repeal heard by NC House panel
- NC Senate spending plan given initial OK
- NC State tops Clemson 6-3 in ACC tournament
- NC House bill opens renegotiation on Dix property
- NC terror suspect killed in overseas drone strike
- Acquaintance describes Abaroa after wife's death
- Stay safe from summer's deadly storms
- Jury begins deliberating in McNeill trial
- Rabies alert in Cary