Parkway to Panther Creek High to reopen
CARY (WTVD) -- The North Carolina Department of Transportation says McCrimmon Parkway - the main road to Cary's Panther Creek High School will reopen Thursday.
Drivers have been forced to detour to get to the school for months while a new overpass was build for the Western Wake Freeway - part of the new 540 Triangle Expressway toll highway.
The road will open for traffic at 6 a.m. Thursday - ahead of schedule. Work on the project began in April, 2010.
The DOT says the overpass has two 201-foot bridges, each with two lanes. The westbound bridge includes a five-foot sidewalk for pedestrians. The eastbound bridge will accommodate a future 10-foot multi-use path for bicycles and pedestrians on the south side of McCrimmon Parkway.
The DOT says Thursday's opening has been coordinated with the high school, the Town of Cary and the Cary Police Department. A flashing school zone sign has been installed at the location, as well as temporary message signs on McCrimmon Parkway and at the school to alert motorists and students about the new traffic pattern.
The Western Wake Freeway section of the 540 Triangle Expressway is scheduled to open in 2012. While toll rates have not been set, the DOT says similar toll roads around the country charge between 10 and 20 cents a mile.
For more information about the McCrimmon Parkway closure and other construction projects associated with the Western Wake Freeway, click here.
i540, wake county, research triangle park, 540 triangle expressway, local/state
- Audit shows problems with NC Tracks
- Heart of Carolina Food Drive wrapping up soon
- South African police prepare for Mandela ceremony
- Man must pay $50K after breaking up with fiancee
- Car drives off bridge, into Harnett County creek 10 min ago
- North Carolina ties to Craigslist murder
- Autopsy reveals Jamie Hahn stabbed 24 times
- Art Pope says he's sad about Roses, Maxway pickets
- Second suspect named in double murder
- World leaders to speak at massive Mandela memorial
- Wake Forest chooses Bowling Green's Clawson 4 min ago
- Reward doubled in Mount Olive murders
- Deputy hits deer, tree in Moore County
- New American Airlines emerges as deal closes
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help