Former Person Co. DA disbarred
ROXBORO -- The Wake County Superior Court has disbarred Former Person County District Attorney Joel Brewer.
In its petition approved January 26, the North Carolina State Bar called Brewer professionally unfit.
Brewer was indicted in June on seven counts of assault on a female, one count of impersonating an officer and one count of willful failure to discharge his duties.
According to court papers, Brewer allegedly stopped motorists by flashing a gold badge. District Attorneys in North Carolina don't carry badges and can't make traffic stops.
Prosecutors said that Brewer touched women inappropriately - resulting in the misdemeanor assault charges.
All of the misdemeanors happened between June of 2008 and September of 2009.
In one assault, warrants say Brewer kissed a woman on her neck and grabbed her hand. In another, he allegedly put his hand on a woman's leg and touched the inside of her thigh. Another victim says Brewer touched her buttocks.
An affidavit also alleged Brewer "routinely dismissed random citations" - keeping them in a "manila folder in his office," separated into male and female piles.
At sentencing, the judge did not send Brewer to jail. Instead, he gave him supervised probation and a $50,000 fine. He agreed to undergo counseling.
person county, local/state
- Child killed in Johnston County crash
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- Construction halted on controversial Raleigh home
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham Park project
- Students describe aftermath of Ukrainian riots
- Raleigh shooting under investigation
- Judge: influence may have tainted Sinclair trial
- Dentist tells jurors he prayed child would die
- Elderly couple beaten, robbed in home
- Boaters rescued on Cape Fear River
- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain
- Exercise highlights 440th Airlift Wing's importance
- Parts of Triangle still paralyzed by weather damage
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help