Former Person Co. DA disbarred
ROXBORO -- The Wake County Superior Court has disbarred Former Person County District Attorney Joel Brewer.
In its petition approved January 26, the North Carolina State Bar called Brewer professionally unfit.
Brewer was indicted in June on seven counts of assault on a female, one count of impersonating an officer and one count of willful failure to discharge his duties.
According to court papers, Brewer allegedly stopped motorists by flashing a gold badge. District Attorneys in North Carolina don't carry badges and can't make traffic stops.
Prosecutors said that Brewer touched women inappropriately - resulting in the misdemeanor assault charges.
All of the misdemeanors happened between June of 2008 and September of 2009.
In one assault, warrants say Brewer kissed a woman on her neck and grabbed her hand. In another, he allegedly put his hand on a woman's leg and touched the inside of her thigh. Another victim says Brewer touched her buttocks.
An affidavit also alleged Brewer "routinely dismissed random citations" - keeping them in a "manila folder in his office," separated into male and female piles.
At sentencing, the judge did not send Brewer to jail. Instead, he gave him supervised probation and a $50,000 fine. He agreed to undergo counseling.
person county, local/state
- Teacher resignations up significantly in Wake Co. 41 min ago
- Blast on site of explosives plants kills 1
- Easter butter lamb gets 'pardon' at Buffalo market
- Confused, chaotic scene described on sinking ferry
- Persons of interest identified in Fayetteville shooting
- Pres. Obama shows skepticism on Russia in Ukraine
- DOT worker charged in officer's death
- Cooper, other lawyers resolve NC defamation case
- Police canvass area for information about rape suspect 33 min ago
- Police: Antiques store used to sell meth 24 min ago
- Hatchell: Star freshman DeShields leaving UNC
- Jabari Parker leaving Duke
- Photos: Outer Banks store burns
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets
- Teacher resignations up significantly in...
55 min ago