Body of missing canoeist found
PERSON COUNTY (WTVD) -- Person County Sheriff Dewey Jones said the body of Chad Napier was found Tuesday morning on Mayo Lake.
His body was spotted floating in the water in an area rescuers had previously searched.
Napier’s family was notified of the discovery Tuesday evening.
Napier went missing on the lake after a canoeing accident on January 31.
Investigators said the 32-year old was with a friend when his canoe capsized. The two struggled to flip the boat over, but then they decided to swim to shore in frigid water.
A friend told Eyewitness News after the accident that Napier said his legs were giving out just before he went under the water.
person county, local/state
- Winter weather advisory issued for northern counties 11 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- Malaysia asks countries for data to help find jet 52 min ago
- Duke University senior killed in Florida crash 25 min ago
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole