Pigs hog I-40, stall traffic
DURHAM, NC (WTVD) -- Five pigs got loose on I-40 near I-540 during rush hour Wednesday morning stalling traffic.
The animals weighing between 80 and 120 pounds were first spotted just after 8:30 a.m. near the I-540 ramp to I-40 west.
Traffic slowed to a crawl on both sides of the interstate as Durham police officers managed to take all five pigs into custody.Click here for raw video of the capture
Information about where the pigs came from was not immediately available. Durham police on the scene said they suspected they dropped out of the back of a truck, but the driver didn't stop, or apparently wasn't aware and kept going.
The pigs were turned over to animal control. Officials said they would be taken to a veterinarian to be checked out. One appeared to be injured.
Animal control said if the rightful owners can't be found, the pigs would eventually be put up for public auction.
wake county, i40, i540, local/state
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes hungry 19 min ago
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- Man struck, killed on I-95 in Selma
- Shearon Harris back in operation 49 min ago
- American University campus lockdown lifted 41 min ago
- Police: Teen in custody shot himself
- Pilot who crashed at SFO worried about landing
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Prosecutor: no domestic charges against Zimmerman
- Wake schools bus shows up hours late
- NC lawmaker charged in state tax case resigns
- Ex-NC State coach pleads guilty to tax charges
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help