Local/State

Victim's family wants fmr. Duke accuser kept in jail

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The family of the man allegedly stabbed to death by former Duke Lacrosse accuser Crystal Mangum asked a judge to keep her in jail Tuesday.

Mangum has been behind bars since last month when she was charged with first-degree murder in the death of her boyfriend Reginald Daye.

In court Tuesday, Mangum's attorney asked the judge to set a reasonable bail. Chris Shella argued that the report on Daye's death from the medical examiner is not complete, and the cause of death has not been established.

"The state has the burden of proving that my client caused the death of this individual. Without a coroner's report, they can't do that. And right now, they can't even say that her actions could have caused his death. Based on that, your honor, I'm asking that the court set a bond of $100,000," said Shella.

Police say Daye, 46, was taken to Duke Hospital with multiple stab wounds April 3 after a domestic dispute between he and Mangum turned violent at a home on Century Oaks Drive. He died April 14.

Daye's family told the judge Tuesday that Mangum - who has previously been charged in another domestic violence case involving another boyfriend - is a menace to society.

"I just feel like my brother was the ultimate sacrifice to get her off the streets. That's the only way I can look at this and get through it, because there's no reason why he shouldn't be here," said Daye's sister Shantia Lawrence. "She was the primary cause, so we're asking that she not be released."

Assistant District Attorney Kelly Gauger also called Mangum dangerous.

"Ms. Mangum's record includes a history of assaultive behavior, domestic violence behavior, including situations where she would have been an aggressor herself," she said.

Court recessed Tuesday without a decision. The case was set to resume Wednesday morning.

Mangum made national headlines in March 2006, when the then NC Central student and exotic dancer claimed three Duke Lacrosse players sexually assaulted her during a performance at a team party inside a house near Duke's campus.

A year later, Attorney General Roy Cooper exonerated the players saying there was no credible evidence in the case.

Former Durham district attorney Mike Nifong - who pursued the charges against the players - was later disbarred and was accused of withholding DNA evidence that would have cleared them.

Mangum went into hiding, then graduated from NCCU in 2008 with a degree in police psychology. Later that year, she released a memoir, "The Last Dance for Grace: The Crystal Mangum Story".

Then last year, Mangum was arrested and charged with attempted murder, arson and child abuse after a domestic dispute with a man she dated before Daye.

In December, the jury found Mangum guilty of child abuse, but they couldn't agree on a first-degree felony arson charge, which could have landed Mangum in jail for seven years.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook

(Copyright ©2014 WTVD-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more Local/State »


Tags:
durham county, durham police, duke lacrosse, local/state
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement