FEMA hosts meeting for tornado victims
CUMBERLAND COUNTY (WTVD) -- Cumberland County leaders encouraged tornado victims with lingering questions about disaster assistance to attend a FEMA town hall meeting Tuesday evening.
The meeting was held in the Beaver Dam community, where the cleanup continues. Despite weeks of work, there are stark reminders of the violent winds that tore through area on April 16.
Homes, livestock and crops were damaged or destroyed. One farmer says he lost close to 100 tobacco bulk curing barns, farm equipment, and trucks.
Emergency officials say the tornado that hit the area was one of two that ripped up parts of Cumberland County.
Fayetteville officials said the town hall meeting was a chance for anyone who needs help to get it.
"It's a chance for people who were in the storm affected areas to come in," said Sally Shutt, Cumberland County spokesperson. "They can listen to the people from FEMA, the small business administration, and they can learn about the assistance available to them."
The meeting was open to residents in the storm area. Cumberland County will hold a series of town hall meeting because FEMA announced it will be closing the disaster relief centers in Cumberland and several surrounding areas on May 26.
Wednesday, there will be another meeting at the College Lakes Recreation Center on Rosehill Road. Next Tuesday, there will be a meeting at the Westover Recreation Center.
Both meetings are scheduled for 7 p.m.
cumberland county, april 2011 tornadoes, tornado video/images, local/state, greg barnes
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help