Charges pending after child in abuse case dies
HENDERSON (WTVD) -- Henderson police arrested a 23-year-old man Thursday after responding to a call about a child in cardiac arrest.
Officers responded to a residence around 1:19 a.m. in reference to an 18-month-old girl in cardiac arrest. The child, who police identified as Destini Bullock, was initially transported to Maria Parham Medical Center and then transferred to UNC Children's Hospital.
Police say the child died Friday afternoon and now the case is a homicide investigation.
Upon further investigation, officers determined the child had been abused. Details about Bullock's injuries will be released after an autopsy is completed.
Police charged 23-year-old Dontavious Washington with felony child abuse inflicting serious injury and additional charges are pending. He was placed under a $125,000 bond.
vance county, local/state
- Police investigate apparent murder-suicide
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day
- Senate Republicans moving NC budget to House
- $2B in Okla. tornado damage means hard recover
- Racial Justice Act repeal heard by NC House panel
- NC Senate spending plan given initial OK
- NC State tops Clemson 6-3 in ACC tournament
- NC House bill opens renegotiation on Dix property
- NC terror suspect killed in overseas drone strike
- Acquaintance describes Abaroa after wife's death
- Stay safe from summer's deadly storms