Charges pending after child in abuse case dies
HENDERSON (WTVD) -- Henderson police arrested a 23-year-old man Thursday after responding to a call about a child in cardiac arrest.
Officers responded to a residence around 1:19 a.m. in reference to an 18-month-old girl in cardiac arrest. The child, who police identified as Destini Bullock, was initially transported to Maria Parham Medical Center and then transferred to UNC Children's Hospital.
Police say the child died Friday afternoon and now the case is a homicide investigation.
Upon further investigation, officers determined the child had been abused. Details about Bullock's injuries will be released after an autopsy is completed.
Police charged 23-year-old Dontavious Washington with felony child abuse inflicting serious injury and additional charges are pending. He was placed under a $125,000 bond.
vance county, local/state
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide