New search in 'cult' case?
DURHAM (WTVD) -- A team of Durham police investigators worked deep in a wooded area off South Briggs Avenue in Durham Tuesday. Forensics experts from NC State University assisted.
Police would not confirm the search was part of the investigation into the disappearances of 4-year-old Jadon Higganbothan and 28-year-old Antoinetta McKoy - only saying it was part of an ongoing investigation.
The search is just the latest in a series involving wooded areas around Durham over the past months.
According to search warrants from Colorado and North Carolina obtained by ABC11, investigators believe Higganbothan and McKoy are dead.
They were living at a home on Pear Tree Lane up until late last year with a group known as the "Black Hebrew Israelites."
According to the warrants, investigators suspect the leader of the group - 27-year-old Peter Moses - was involved in the deaths.
A search warrant from the Pear Tree Lane address shows investigators recovered traces of blood, a spent bullet, and shell casings from the home.
Moses faces numerous charges including one count of second-degree kidnapping, one count of assault by pointing a gun, one count of assault on a female, one count of communicating threats and failure to appear in court on earlier charges. But, he is not charged with anything related to the Higganbothan and McKoy cases and police have refused to characterize their investigation as anything other than a missing persons case.
Higganbothan's mother, Vania Sisk, 25, was also arrested in a raid on a Durham home in April. She's currently free on bond after being charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession.
durham county, homicide, durham police, peter moses, local/state, tamara gibbs
- Target investigating credit card breach
- Will 'Anchorman 2' live up to the hype?
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Bradley Cooper happy to be sober
- Man shot, collapses at gas station
- Police issue warning on eve of Huerta vigil
- Dog helps doctors monitor child during operation
- Army helicopter crash victim from Triangle
- Ex-boyfriend charged in Durham double murder
- Texas upends No. 14 North Carolina 86-83
- NC State beats Vols 65-58 for sixth straight win
- White House task force urges limit on NSA snooping
- Ferry that ran aground on NC coast still stuck
- Crawleigh could affect school start times
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help