School bus driver fired after crash
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Wake County Public Schools said Tuesday it has terminated the driver involved in a crash Friday at Millbrook Middle School.
Lamount Lynch, 21, of Wendell was charged with careless and reckless driving after the accident. Investigators said his bus was travelling at 55 mph in a 35 zone.
The bus was traveling down Strickland Road when it sideswiped three cars waiting to turn into the school's carpool line, according to police. They say Lynch then crossed the center line and hit a stopped car that was headed in the opposite direction on Strickland.
Six vehicles were damaged in the wreck, but no one was seriously hurt.
Lynch told school officials another driver was coming toward him the wrong way and he swerved to miss the vehicle. However, there is nothing in the police report to back up that claim and neither does eyewitness accounts.
"After reviewing all the information available to us, it was determined that a termination effective at the end of today was the appropriate measure," said WCPSS Spokesperson Greg Thomas.
wake county, school bus accident, local/state, shae crisson
- Teacher resignations up significantly in Wake Co.
- Blast on site of explosives plants kills 1
- Easter butter lamb gets 'pardon' at Buffalo market
- Confused, chaotic scene described on sinking ferry
- Persons of interest identified in Fayetteville shooting
- Pres. Obama shows skepticism on Russia in Ukraine
- DOT worker charged in officer's death
- Cooper, other lawyers resolve NC defamation case
- Police canvass area for information about rape suspect 58 min ago
- Police: Antiques store used to sell meth 49 min ago
- Hatchell: Star freshman DeShields leaving UNC
- Jabari Parker leaving Duke
- Photos: Outer Banks store burns
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets