Men charged with stealing air conditioners
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- Police busted two men for allegedly stealing air conditioning units from tornado damaged homes.
The theft occurred on Redcliff Road in the Fairfield Farms subdivision off of Ramsey Street.
Police say it was a crime of opportunity. The north Fayetteville neighborhood sustained a lot of tornado damage on April 16 and crews continue to work on homes in the area.
Officers caught 31-year-old Jantzen Maynor and 22-year-old Malcolm Elleber Wednesday with two units in their possession.
According to police, Maynor is a contractor and was in the neighborhood a few weeks earlier. He was one of many workers repairing damaged homes. A neighbor saw Maynor and Elleber removing one of the units and called 911.
"Around 10 to11 o'clock Wednesday morning, a call came into 911 from a person living in the neighborhood saying they saw some suspicious activity," Fayetteville Police spokesperson Gavin MacRoberts said. "Officers responded. When they arrived, they found a truck with two A/C units inside."
Both men are charged with larceny and possession of stolen property. They were released on bond.
Police say they haven't seen any widespread looting since immediately after the tornado. They say it appears to be an isolated incident.
cumberland county, april 2011 tornadoes, local/state, greg barnes
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina 12 min ago
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home 5 min ago
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina 53 min ago
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- Orange County among hardest hit by ice storm
9 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
13 min ago
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in Fayetteville...
6 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help