Two charged with porta-potty fires
FAYETTEVILLE, NC (WTVD) -- Arson investigators with the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office announced Wednesday that they've charged a volunteer firefighter and another man in a series of portable toilet fires.
Edward Colmon Williams, 20, of 5113 Pondwood Drive, Stedman and Harold Meridth Starling, Jr., 20, of 3439 Wade Stedman Road, were arrested after detectives say they saw the men approaching a porta-potty with diesel fuel, cardboard and lighters.
Williams is a volunteer firefighter with Stedman Fire Department. Investigators say he has admitted to setting a series of portable toilet fires around Cumberland County.
The most recent was early Tuesday morning at Faith Builders Christian Center on Wade Stedman Road. The fire damaged the church, melting the vinyl siding of one end of the building.
Williams and Starling are charged with multiple counts of burning personal property and the burning of a church.
Bond was set at $12,000.
cumberland county, fire, arson, local/state
- Widow's wedding bands stolen in Hope Mills
- Manhunt for suspects in deadly luxury mall carjacking
- Crawleigh's I-440 lane closures got off to a rough start
- Police seek help solving double murder
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Multiple county chase ends in Durham
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot
- Sheriff: School gunman planned to attack 5 spots
- Naked man spotted near Raleigh school
- Private ferry runs aground, injures 14
- Durham murder victim identified
- Blind man, guide dog safe after subway track fall
- Fair ride operator, owner formally indicted
- DOT looking at all 540 project paths
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help