Camp Lejeune Marine killed in Afghanistan
CAMP LEJEUNE (WTVD) -- Military officials said Thursday that a Camp Lejeune based Marine has died in Afghanistan.
An official news release says Corporal William J. Woitowicz, 23, of Groton, Mass., died June 7 while conducting combat operations in Badghis province.
He was assigned to 2d Marine Special Operations Battalion, U.S. Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command.
Woitowicz was promoted to Sergeant posthumously on June 7. His decorations include the Purple Heart, Combat Action Ribbon, Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon and the NATO International Security Assistance Force Medal. Woitowicz also earned the Army parachutist wings and a brown belt in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program.
camp lejeune, local/state
- Man killed by falling tree in Chapel Hill
- Tax collector's office accused of abusing worker
- 'First kiss': The story behind the real viral hit
- Local company to provide experimental drug to boy
- Soldiers find human remains scattered in woods
- Mobile home destroyed by fire in Selma
- Gas blast destroys 2 NY buildings; 3 people dead
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- Obama calls for a 'rethinking' on Crimea vote
- Expert: Girl's blood on over 30 items of evidence
- GM excluded crash deaths from ignition inquiry
- Ingram has 30 as NCCU beats Howard 92-46 in MEAC
- NC coming up against another food stamp deadline
- CEO happy his company can provide drug for sick boy