Man now facing sex assault charges in 4-year-old's death
SMITHFIELD (WTVD) -- New charges have been filed in the case of the 4-year-old Johnston County girl that was allegedly tortured by her mother's boyfriend.
A Johnston County grand jury has handed down new indictments against 22-year-old Jonathan Richardson in connection with the death of Teghan Skiba.
In July 2010, Skiba was admitted to the Johnston Medical Center by Richardson after he claimed she had fallen off the bed. However, doctors found she had cuts, bite marks and head trauma.
Richardson is also accused of beating and sexually assaulting the girl while her mother, Helen Roxanne Reyes, was out-of-state for Army Reserves training.
Skiba died days later from the injures and an autopsy later revealed that she died from a blow to the head.
Richardson was charged a short time later with first degree murder and felony child abuse inflicting serious bodily injury.
Then this week, a grand jury in Smithfield indicted Richardson on two additional charges - the rape of a child and sex offense of a child.
He currently remains in the Johnston County Jail unable to post his $1 million bond.
Meanwhile, Reyes is free on bond and awaiting trial.
johnston county, local/state
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Woman rescued from crashed van
- Durham house damaged by fire
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Man with Down syndrome learns he's...
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Power play lifts Capitals past Carolina, 4-2
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help