Man now facing sex assault charges in 4-year-old's death
SMITHFIELD (WTVD) -- New charges have been filed in the case of the 4-year-old Johnston County girl that was allegedly tortured by her mother's boyfriend.
A Johnston County grand jury has handed down new indictments against 22-year-old Jonathan Richardson in connection with the death of Teghan Skiba.
In July 2010, Skiba was admitted to the Johnston Medical Center by Richardson after he claimed she had fallen off the bed. However, doctors found she had cuts, bite marks and head trauma.
Richardson is also accused of beating and sexually assaulting the girl while her mother, Helen Roxanne Reyes, was out-of-state for Army Reserves training.
Skiba died days later from the injures and an autopsy later revealed that she died from a blow to the head.
Richardson was charged a short time later with first degree murder and felony child abuse inflicting serious bodily injury.
Then this week, a grand jury in Smithfield indicted Richardson on two additional charges - the rape of a child and sex offense of a child.
He currently remains in the Johnston County Jail unable to post his $1 million bond.
Meanwhile, Reyes is free on bond and awaiting trial.
johnston county, local/state
- I-Team: Miller was in witness protection
- FDA to regulate e-cigarettes
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Photos: 'That happened how?' Bizarre mix-ups
- Raleigh police investigate shooting death 54 min ago
- 11 kids, driver hurt in Calif. school bus crash 14 min ago
- I-Team: Mom warns of shopping cart danger
- Public memorial service set for Danielle Locklear
- Local roofer banned from taking money up front
- New Georgia law makes it legal to carry weapons into bars,...
- Video: Historic NCSU building set for demolition
- Video: Bruce Springsteen fans gather for PNC Arena...
- Video: Critics call Georgia's new law the "guns...
- Lawmakers propose dumping Common Core