Republicans try to override vetoed budget
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Five Democrats in the House of Representatives are literally the deciders right now. If they vote with Republicans, Governor Beverly Perdue's veto will be overridden and the $19.7 billion budget will become law.
William Brisson, James Crawford, Dewey Hill, Bill Owens and Tim Spear have been lobbied hard. Many on the left hope the Democrats will reverse their previous votes for the budget and vote with Governor Perdue against it. However, in recent days, three of the five have told ABC11 Eyewitness News they will again vote together to override.
After a week of deliberation, Perdue vetoed the budget Sunday, becoming the first governor to do so in the state's history.
Republicans charged that Perdue's veto was politically motivated to help her poll numbers, which is something Perdue vigorously denies. At least one poll shows Perdue is more popular now than when Republicans took over in the assembly.
In February, a poll showed voters trusted the Legislature over the Governor 44 to 37 percent. That same poll shows more voters trust the Governor 42 to 40 percent.
One Republican tells ABC11 to expect an override attempt by Wednesday.
bev perdue, nc house, nc senate, general assembly, local/state, jon camp
- Police: Teen had gunshot residue on hands
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Lawmakers get legal help with NC marriage case
- Community rallies around couple after fire
- Foul weather threatens to snarl holiday travel
- Newlyweds ordered to trial in Craigslist slaying
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for America
- Troubleshooter tackles Raleigh parking ticket
- Police: Fake Salvation Army bell ringer arrested
- Prosecutors: Owner bypassed ride safety mechanism
- Armed Forces Salute: The Bauer Family
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help