Foreclosed ice rink reopens
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The Rec Zone in Raleigh will reopen after a bank foreclosed the ice rink last month.
When BB&T foreclosed on the property, the Raleigh Youth Hockey Association was forced to find a new practice rink.
"Well, the original announcement was a letdown of course because we did buy significant ice at the Rec Zone that was part of our regular ice commitment," RYHA Executive Director Stephen Henley said.
Henley says the association had to make some changes.
"Not cut programs, but we had a plan to expand," he explained. "That was not going to happen. We had to shift some times around and move some teams into some less desirable time slots, so it was tough. [A] little bit more travel time to and from rinks."
Rec Zone also was the practice rink of the Carolina Hurricanes, so people were very excited to hear the news of the reopening.
"We're thrilled to have it back and from what my understanding is, they're going to do a lot of renovations to it," Henley said. "We re-announced our B program, which we had originally cancelled when we thought the Rec Zone was going to close."
The Director says the bank has hired a management company to run the rink until it finds a buyer.
"So, that's all great news and, of course, it's a nice centrally located rink, which means a little bit less travel for parents," Henley added.
BB&T couldn't be reached for comment. ABC11 Eyewitness News spoke to someone at the Hurricanes' front office who says they are just hearing about the reopening, so they'll probably have a few things to talk about regarding practice at Rec Zone.
wake county, carolina hurricanes, local/state, sheyenne rodriguez
- Woman speaks out about Clayton group home
- ABC11 channel changes
- Reports of rashes spur Fitbit recall
- Wrestler loses championship, wins crowd over
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly
- Skiba's mom says Richardson murdered daughter
- Durham school bus involved in accident
- Man killed by falling tree in Chapel Hill
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- Official: Airliner communications shut down separately
- Hurricanes rally to beat Sabres 4-2
- NC State tops Miami 67-58 in ACC tourney
- Emails show close ties between Duke, NC regulators
- Teen faces sexting charges following social media mistake