Man accused of beating woman with stick
RAEFORD (WTVD) -- A Hoke County man is charged with beating his girlfriend's 66-year-old mother with a stick.
Yvonnie Rutherford is still in shock two days after her boyfriend, 48-year-old Dwayne Gillom, nearly beat her mother to death. Rutherford says he became angry at her after she answered the door in her night gown.
"And I couldn't stop him," Rutherford said. "He wouldn't listen. He would stop. He just kept going."
Rutherford says Gillom's anger shifted to her mother, 66-year-old Wyvonie Cathey, when Cathey came to Rutherford's defense. That's when Gillom started to beat Cathey with a stick.
"And just kept beating her all in her head, her arms, her stomach," Rutherford explained. "And my neighbor came over, Melissa, and she was trying to stop him [and] just couldn't get him to quit."
"As quick as he started beating her, he stopped, he grabbed Vonnie's purse, snatched her keys, came out the front door, took her car, ran into the manager's car head-on and left out of the park," neighbor Melissa Hodges continued.
Cathey suffered four gashes to the head, a broken arm, wrist and finger. She is recovering at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center with stick bruises all over her body.
Early Friday morning Gillom turned himself in at the Hoke County Sheriff's Office. He is being held without bond for 48 hours for violating a domestic violence order. Following the 48 hours, his bond will be set at $500,000, and he'll make his first court appearance on Monday.
hoke county, local/state, gilbert baez
- Accident shuts down Durham road 9 min ago
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes hungry
- Uptick in flu cases in Triangle
- Man struck, killed on I-95 in Selma
- Shearon Harris back in operation
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Appeal to be heard in Jason Young case
- Police: Teen in custody shot himself
- Pilot who crashed at SFO worried about landing
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Prosecutor: no domestic charges against Zimmerman
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help