Solar company bringing 256 jobs
HENDERSON (WTVD) -- A company that makes modules which convert the sun's energy into electricity says it's building a pilot production plant in Henderson.
Governor Beverly Perdue says the project will mean 256 jobs in Vance County.
Perdue was on hand for the announcement by Semprius, Inc. in Henderson Tuesday.
Semprius produces high concentration photovoltaic (HCPV) solar modules.
"Semprius chose to launch this cutting edge technology in North Carolina because our investments in education and worker training ensure that they can find the job-ready employees they need," said Perdue. "We welcome them to North Carolina: the smart grid capital of the world."
In a news release, Semprius said The North Carolina Department of Commerce used more than $7.88 million in incentive grants to help lure it to the state. Semprius said it will make a capital investment of $89.7 million in Henderson and expects to draw about $120 million in investment to the region.
"We are excited to partner with the state of North Carolina and Vance County in bringing new jobs to the region, and we appreciate the commitment to both the success of our company and the advancement of solar power generation," said Joe Carr, Semprius president and CEO.
Semprius said the initial phase of the project will employ 60 people who will make its low cost photovoltaic cells. It expects to expand to the full 256 jobs in five years. The pilot production plant is expected to open in August 2012.
"Semprius HCPV modules can concentrate the sun more 1,000 times for highly efficient conversion into electricity," said Carr. "We believe HCPV solar technology is leading us toward achieving grid parity with fossil-based fuels, and we’re proud that the state of North Carolina and Vance County find our technology as important to the future of clean energy as we do."
vance county, jobs, local/state
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Wild video: Duke Energy implodes smokestacks
- Woman rescued from crashed van
- Durham house damaged by fire
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Man with Down syndrome learns he's...
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Power play lifts Capitals past Carolina, 4-2
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help