Durham police officer hurt in crash
Sunday, July 24, 2011
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Authorities say a Durham police officer was injured Sunday morning in a two-car collision.
It happened around 8:00 a.m., near the intersection of Vickers Avenue and Proctor Street.
According to a preliminary report, police say Officer C.W. Tidwell was driving a marked Ford Crown Victoria patrol car south in the left lane of Vickers Avenue when the driver of a Chrysler PT Cruiser, which was going south on Vickers Avenue in the right lane, attempted to make a left turn on to Proctor Street and struck the patrol car.
The impact caused the patrol car to strike a utility pole and then flip over on the driver's side.
Tidwell was trapped in the car and emergency crews had to cut him out of the vehicle.
He was taken to Duke University Hospital for treatment and later released.
The other driver ran from the scene but later returned.
Police say 35-year-old Jose Rodolfo Lopez-Lopez of Seven Springs has been charged with felony hit-and-run, driving without a license and a safe movement violation.
He was in jail on $10,000 bond Sunday, and it wasn't known if he had an attorney.
(Copyright ©2013 WTVD-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
durham county, durham police, accident, local/state
- Authorities investigating fatal shooting 28 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Authorities investigating shooting at gas station 28 min ago
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help