Photos show ammo, pills inside Stewart's home
CARTHAGE (WTVD) -- Law enforcement officers are testifying Tuesday in the murder trial of Robert Stewart.
The Moore County man has admitted being the gunman in the 2009 shooting rampage inside a nursing home that killed eight people.
Tuesday morning, the jury in Stewart's trial heard from officers who responded to the scene and later helped execute search warrants related to the case.
Deputy George Dennis, a 12-year veteran with the Moore County Sheriff's Office, said he first responded to Pinelake Health and Rehab Center on March 29, 2009.
Dennis said he interviewed a couple of employees at Pinelake who were "distraught and upset."
He also took a statement from a certified nursing assistant who saw Stewart that morning, as he made his way through the facility shooting at people.
The woman's statement was read in court and described a gruesome scene with multiple elderly victims shot dead in their wheelchairs and beds.
On Monday, jurors were shown close-up photos of nearly every victim -- seven elderly residents, mostly slumped over in their wheelchairs. One was killed while in bed and another was found on the floor -- knocked out of his wheelchair from a shotgun blast to the back.
The jury also spent some time Tuesday looking at pictures taken from inside Stewart's home. The pictures showed assorted boxes of ammo and pill bottles.
Prosecutors say Stewart intended to kill his wife, who worked at Pinelake, and took out anyone who was in his path. Last week a neighbor testified that he called her a couple of days before the shooting saying his wife left him and that it would be the last time. He also told the neighbor make sure they know it would be the last time.
Stewart's attorneys say he was prescribed a dangerous mix of too many sleeping pills and anti-depressants, he didn't know what he was doing and he doesn't remember the shooting.
His estranged wife, Wanda Stewart, is expected to take the stand.
nursing home shooting, local/state
- Woman speaks out about Clayton group home
- ABC11 channel changes
- Reports of rashes spur Fitbit recall
- Wrestler loses championship, wins crowd over
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly
- Skiba's mom says Richardson murdered daughter
- Durham school bus involved in accident
- Man killed by falling tree in Chapel Hill
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- Official: Airliner communications shut down separately
- Hurricanes rally to beat Sabres 4-2
- NC State tops Miami 67-58 in ACC tourney
- Emails show close ties between Duke, NC regulators
- Teen faces sexting charges following social media mistake