Soldiers face judge in missing teen's death
SPRING LAKE (WTVD) -- Authorities have charged two Fort Bragg soldiers with murder after a missing 17-year-old was found dead Thursday.
Vincent Carlisle Jr.'s body was found in a heavily wooded area on Shady Grove Road, north of Spring Lake, in Harnett County.
Family members last saw Carlisle on Sunday at his Spring Lake home. He allegedly got into a confrontation with two soldiers who lived next door.
Harnett County investigators have charged 20-year-old Pvt. Christopher Roger Blackett and 20-year-old Spc. Sebastian Gamez with first-degree murder and concealing a death.
Investigators are not saying how Carlisle died. His body has been sent to the state medical examiner's office for an autopsy.
In interviews Wednesday, Carlisle's friends and family said they feared the worst.
"[I] am depressed, sad, mad, just wondering what happened - how it happened. I mean, at least he is in a better place," said friend Brian Ritchey.
The family's minister Pastor Clarence Gaddy says he prays for the words to ease the family's misery.
"As a family, we are going to get through this. All I can say is I know God is going to bring us through," he said.
Blackett and Gamez - both stationed at Fort Bragg - showed little emotion when they faced a judge Friday. The soldiers are being held in jail under no bond. They are scheduled to appear in court again on Sept. 6.
cumberland county, harnett county, local/state
- 20 children among dead in Okla. tornado 56 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- NC House panel looking at public school grant bill
- Frightening moments for family with Okla. ties
- Hazmat situation at Raleigh apt. complex
- Police search for shooting suspect
- Man shot in neck in Raleigh
- NC Senate budget plan heavy on Medicaid spending
- NRC meets public after nuclear plant shuttered
- Prosecution rests in Abaroa murder trial
- Woman accused of poisoning family
- Closing arguments to begin in McNeill trial