Hurricane Irene shelter and evacuation information
The Red Cross and state and local officials have opened shelters inland for residents who are being evacuated from the N.C. coast because of Hurricane Irene.
Beaufort County - All shelters open
- P.S. Jones Middle School, 4105 Market Street Extension, Washington
- Washington High School, 400 Slatestone Road, Washington
Brunswick County - All shelters open
- North Brunswick High School - 1395 Scorpion Drive, Leland, NC 28451
- West Brunswick High School - 550 Whiteville Road, Shallotte, NC 28470 (pet-friendly shelter- dogs and cats only, owners must stay at the shelter with their animals, please bring pet’s food)
- South Brunswick High School- 280 Cougar Road, Southport, NC 28461
Carteret County - All shelters open
- Newport Middle School - 500 East Chatham St., Newport
- West Carteret High School - 4700 Country Club Rd., Morehead City
- Beaufort Elementary - 110 Carraway Dr., Beaufort
- Atlantic Elementary - 151 School Dr., Atlantic
Craven County - All shelters open
- Havelock High School - 101 Webb Blvd, Havelock
- Brinson Elementary - 319 Neuse Forest Ave, New Bern
- Benn Quinn Elementary - 4275 Martin Luther King Blvd, New Bern *Pet Friendly
- Farm Life Elementary - 2000 Farm Life Ave, Vanceboro
*Citizens should bring their own pillows, blankets, medication and any other special needs.
Columbus County - All shelters open
- East Columbus High - 32 Gator Ln, Lake Waccamaw, NC 28450
- Edgewood Elementary - 317 East Calhoun Street, Whiteville, NC 28472
- Guideway Elementary - 11570 Swamp Fox Highway East, Tabor City, NC 28463
Currituck and Dare counties - All shelters open
- TJ Davis Recreation Center - 400 E. Sixth Street, Roanoke Rapids, NC 27870. Pets will not be co-located at this shelter, but accommodations will be available and information will be provided upon arrival.
- Northampton Cultural & Wellness Center - 9536 Hwy 305 North, Jackson, NC 27845 Pets will be co-located at this site.
Duplin County - All shelters open
- Wallace Elementary School - 4266 NC 11 South, Wallace NC 28466
- BF Grady Elementary - 2627 North NC 11 & 903 Albertson, NC 28508
- James Kenan High School - 1241 NC 24 & 50 Hwy, Warsaw NC 28398
Halifax County - All shelters open
- William R. Davie Middle School on Hwy 518 in Roanoke Rapids
- Enfield Middle School on Hwy 481 in Enfield
Residents who wish to come to the shelters are asked to bring basic personal items. Meals will be offered by the shelters starting Saturday morning.
The TJ Davis Recreation Center in Roanoke Rapids is for Dare County residents only, who have been ordered to evacuate Dare County.
Hyde County - Shelter open
- Raleigh Road Baptist Church - 4150 Raleigh Road Parkway, Wilson.
Johnston County - Shelter closes 8 p.m. Saturday
- Smithfield-Selma Senior High School, 700 Booker Dairy Road, Smithfield, NC.
Martin County - Shelter open
- Williamston High School, 1260 Godwin Ave., Williamston
Nash County - Shelter open
- Englewood Baptist in Rocky Mount - FULL
- TJ Davis Rec Center, 400 E. 6th St., Roanoke Rapids
New Hanover County – All shelters open
- Noble Middle School – 6520 Market St., Wilmington, NC 28405 (pet-friendly shelter- dogs and cats only, owners must stay at the shelter with their animals, please bring pet’s food)
- Dorothy B Johnson Elementary School – 1100 McRae St. Wilmington, NC 28401
Northampston County - Shelter open
- Northampton Cultural & Wellness Center, 9536 NC Hwy 35, Jackson
Ocracoke Island - Shelter open
- Inglewood Baptist Church - 1350 Winstead Ave., Rocky Mount.
Onslow County - All shelters open
- Dixon Middle School - 200 Dixon School Road, Holly Ridge
- Swansboro High School - 161 Queens Creek Road, Swansboro
- Richlands High School - 401 Woodson Street, Richlands
- Southwest Middle School - 3000 Furia Drive, Jacksonville
- Jacksonville Commons Middle School - 315 Commons Drive, Jacksonville (pet-friendly shelter- dogs and cats only, owners must stay at the shelter with their animals, please bring pet's food and a crate)
- White Oak High School - 3001 Piney Green Road, Jacksonville
Pender County - All shelters open
- Malpass Corner Elementary School - 4992 Malpass Corner Road, Burgaw, NC 28425
- Burgaw Middle School - 500 South Wright Street, Burgaw, NC 28425 (pet-friendly shelter- dogs and cats only, owners must stay at the shelter with their animals, please bring pet’s food)
- Topsail Elementary- 17385 US Hwy 17, Hampstead, NC 28443
Pitt County - Shelter open
- D.H. Conley High School, 2006 Worthington Road, Greenville
- Wellcome Middle School, 3101 N. Memorial Drive, Greenville
- Farmville Central High School, 3308 E. Wilson St., Farmville
Sampson County - All shelters open:
Residents asked to bring bedding, medicines, foods (especially baby foods and baby supplies), personal hygiene items, and flashlights. Firearms and alcoholic beverages are forbidden; law enforcement will retain the right to search bags brought into the shelter as a safety precaution. Electronic devices, such as televisions and VCRs will not be allowed inside shelters.
Pets are not allowed at the general population shelters.
- Sampson Middle School - 1201 W. Elizabeth Street, Clinton
- Hobbton Middle School - 12081 Hobbton Highway, Newton Grove
- Union Elementary School - 10400 Taylor's Bridge Highway, Clinton
Sampson County Pet Shelters:
- Sampson County Livestock Arena, 93 Agriculture Place in Clinton (at the intersection of 421 South and Cecil Odie Road)
Pet owners are responsible for the transportation of their pet(s) to the shelter. Pet owners should bring their pets in a kennel/carrier, and must provide proof of current vaccinations upon registration of pet at the shelter. Animals will not be accepted without proof of vaccination, if they appear to be sick, or if they are exhibiting aggressive behavior. Pet owners may also wish to consider sheltering their pets at animal hospitals, kennels or other safe shelter.
Most shelters do not accept pets.
- Click here for more information about taking care of your pet in a storm
- Click here for a list of pet friendly hotels from the Outer Banks SPCA
Wilson County - Shelter open
- Raleigh Road Baptist Church, 4150 Raleigh Road Parkway, Wilson
Washington County - Shelter open
- Pines Elementary School, 3177 us Hwy 64 E, Plymouth
- Click here for evacuation routes
- Click here for emergency management information for each county in North Carolina
hurricane irene, nc hurricanes, local/state
- Funeral held for North Hills murder victim
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- North Carolina Senate rolls out budget plan 23 min ago
- Photos: Raleigh's Artsplosure
- 4 year old injured in Durham hit-and-run
- Small Fla. city wonders who won Powerball jackpot
- Boston Marathon bombing victim returns home to NC
- Body of missing Ohio man pulled from NC waters
- NC teacher says student hit her during field trip
- Charlotte remembers 1963 desegregation 'eat-in'
- Swift, Bieber, more ready for Billboard Awards
- OJ Simpson lawyers say he is closer to freedom