NC deaths attributed to Hurricane Irene
RALEIGH -- Emergency officials say six deaths can be attributed to the effects of Hurricane Irene in North Carolina.
There was one each in Nash, Onslow, Sampson and Wayne counties, and two in Pitt County.
In Nash County, a man was crushed to death outside his home by a large limb blown down during high winds.
Nash County Emergency Management Director Brian Brantley said the man was walking outside his home in a rural area of the county around 10:20 a.m. Saturday when the limb struck him.
Paramedics were called to the scene, but the man was already dead.
Goldsboro police say a 15-year-old girl is dead after the SUV she was riding in collided with another vehicle at an intersection where traffic lights failed to work because Hurricane Irene had knocked out the power.
Police Capt. Anthony Carmon said the girl was one of four family members thrown from the SUV Saturday afternoon. The girl's name has not been released.
Carmon said the surviving family members, as well as the driver and two children in the other vehicle, were hospitalized.
Police said the girl's family was returning to northern Virginia from Myrtle Beach, S.C.
In Sampson County, a tree fell on a car with a husband, wife, and child inside. Officials said the wife was killed.
Elsewhere, an Onslow County man died of a heart attack while putting up plywood.
Authorities in Pitt County say a man was found dead in his home after Irene's winds toppled a tree onto his house. Another man in Pitt County drove through standing water, went off a road and died after striking a tree on Saturday.
hurricane irene, nc hurricanes, local/state
- Ex-boyfriend charged in Durham double murder
- Will 'Anchorman 2' live up to the hype?
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Bradley Cooper happy to be sober
- Bipartisan budget agreement clears Congress 9 min ago
- Lawrence Lovette denied change of venue for murder trial 55 min ago
- Crawleigh could affect school start times
- Film, TV productions spend $250 million in NC
- McCrory cites jobless rate, tax overhaul in video
- Charge dropped in Cary culvert fire
- 2 winners in $636M Mega Millions drawing
- Widow's wedding bands stolen in Hope Mills
- Photos: Most fascinating people of 2013
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Open house at Governor's Mansion
10 min ago
- Lawrence Lovette denied change of venue for...
55 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help