NC police identify mother of dead bathroom baby
HENDERSONVILLE, N.C. -- Hendersonville police are investigating the death of a baby whose body was found inside a grocery store bathroom Sunday evening.
Police say an employee found the newborn's body around 9:30 p.m. The newborn's body was wrapped in a blanket inside a trash can.
"The baby was wrapped into a blanket, it was a white blanket with Spanish writing, but also in its hand there was a gold in color cross," said Hendersonville Police Department Detective Bobbie Trooter. "It appeared to be a charm, a necklace and a small charm."
On Monday, Hendersonville police said they questioned a teenage girl who they believe left the dead body of her newborn baby in the women's bathroom at a Bi-Lo grocery store.
A surveillance video shows the girl and her boyfriend enter the store Sunday afternoon and walk toward the bathroom. She was carrying a bag into the bathroom with her.
Capt. David Adams said investigators are waiting for autopsy results before deciding whether to file charges.
Police have not released the mother's name.
Adams said the baby was born alive outside a hospital, but was dead when it was left it in the trash can.
The child was thought to be no more than three days old.
Police are awaiting an autopsy to learn the cause of death.
henderson county, local/state
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire 3 min ago
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged 31 min ago
- Residents told of arsenic in water
- Community comes together to fight for Maddison
- Arrest warrants issued in Gates Four shooting
- Former sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- Jeopardy! Clue Crew visits Raleigh
- ACC tournament to move to New York?
- Quiznos files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- New Scrabble words sought
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen...
30 min ago