Death row inmate dies of natural causes
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The North Carolina Department of Correction said Tuesday that the state's oldest death row inmate has died of natural causes.
Eighty-three year old John H. Fleming was sentenced to death in Northampton County for the May 1996 murder of Genie Pelham in Pleasant Hill.
Case records show Pelham didn't approve of Fleming's relationship with his daughter and also intended to testify against him at an upcoming forgery trial.
Prosecutors said Fleming broke into Pelham's home before beating and strangling him.
northhampton county, homicide, local/state
- Duke Chapel holds Mandela memorial
- Snowball fight could lead to criminal charges
- Airline's sweet surprise for passengers
- One day left to help hungry families through the holidays
- Billy Graham weaker since 95th birthday party
- Shooting reported in Raleigh
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Modest Eastern snowstorm brings closures, delays
- Serial bank robber arrested in Durham
- Bubba the goat is no longer on the lam
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget pact
- Car crashes on Glenwood Avenue during chase
- Walmart, AIG say they plan nearly 700 NC jobs
- Groups shun NC critics, appeal Bonner Bridge case
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help