City employee indicted for embezzlement
ROCKY MOUNT (WTVD) -- A Rocky Mount city employee is facing embezzlement charges following a police investigation.
A grand jury indicted 53-year-old Gary Weeks Monday. He is charged with nine counts of embezzlement by government officer, three counts of obtaining property by false pretences, and one count of felony larceny.
The Rocky Mount Police Department said it conducted an investigation that spanned several months after receiving information from the city manager's office of possible fraud and embezzlement.
Weeks worked in the Water Resources Department. He turned himself in to authorities Tuesday and posted a $110,000 bond.
According to a statement released by City Manager Charles Penny, Weeks worked in the Department of Water Resources for five years, and most recently as a supervisor at the water treatment plant. He was terminated on August 30.
"In view of this incident, our city management team will conduct a thorough review of our accounting controls and purchasing procedures and will be implementing additional necessary controls to prevent similar incidents in the future," Penny said.
Weeks is expected to appear in court on October 24.
nash county, edgecombe county, local/state
- Slow moving thunderstorms linger Monday 6 min ago
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- Funeral held for North Hills murder victim 34 min ago
- Cancer returns for child who gave gifts to patients 39 min ago
- North Carolina Senate rolls out budget plan 47 min ago
- Photos: Raleigh's Artsplosure
- 4 year old injured in Durham hit-and-run
- Small Fla. city anxious to learn jackpot winner
- Boston Marathon bombing victim returns home to NC
- Body of missing Ohio man pulled from NC waters
- NC teacher says student hit her during field trip
- Charlotte remembers 1963 desegregation 'eat-in'
- Funeral held for North Hills murder victim
29 min ago
- Cancer returns for child who gave gifts to...
37 min ago