City employee indicted for embezzlement
ROCKY MOUNT (WTVD) -- A Rocky Mount city employee is facing embezzlement charges following a police investigation.
A grand jury indicted 53-year-old Gary Weeks Monday. He is charged with nine counts of embezzlement by government officer, three counts of obtaining property by false pretences, and one count of felony larceny.
The Rocky Mount Police Department said it conducted an investigation that spanned several months after receiving information from the city manager's office of possible fraud and embezzlement.
Weeks worked in the Water Resources Department. He turned himself in to authorities Tuesday and posted a $110,000 bond.
According to a statement released by City Manager Charles Penny, Weeks worked in the Department of Water Resources for five years, and most recently as a supervisor at the water treatment plant. He was terminated on August 30.
"In view of this incident, our city management team will conduct a thorough review of our accounting controls and purchasing procedures and will be implementing additional necessary controls to prevent similar incidents in the future," Penny said.
Weeks is expected to appear in court on October 24.
nash county, edgecombe county, local/state
- Ex-boyfriend charged in Durham double murder 31 min ago
- Will 'Anchorman 2' live up to the hype?
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Bradley Cooper happy to be sober
- Charge dropped in Cary culvert fire
- 2 winners in $636M Mega Millions drawing
- Widow's wedding bands stolen in Hope Mills
- Photos: Most fascinating people of 2013
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Multiple county chase ends in Durham
- Charities sound alarm about need this season
- Crawleigh could affect school start times 14 min ago
- Rescued paralyzed dog helps autistic kids
- Sheriff: School gunman planned to attack 5 spots
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help