Jason Young retrial delayed
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A Raleigh judge said Thursday that Jason Young's retrial will not be held in October.
Young's first trial ended in June when a jury of 12 men and woman couldn't reach a unanimous verdict in the 2006 beating death of his pregnant wife Michelle.
Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens said in an order that there is a shortage of court reporters, and there is a delay in getting the transcript from Young's first trial completed.
He said a new trial wouldn't be held until at least 2012. A scheduling hearing will be held later this month.
Young claims he was away on a business trip in Virginia on November 3, 2006 when his wife was beaten to death in their south Raleigh home.
Michelle was 5-months pregnant when she died. Prosecutors said the couple had a long history of marital problems and Jason had affairs with multiple women in the months before the murder. The Young's daughter Cassidy - who was 2-years-old at the time - was found unhurt next to her mother's corpse. Investigators said her tiny bloody footprints were tracked throughout the upstairs floor of the home.
In an unusual move for a murder trial, Jason took the witness stand in his own defense. He admitted he was a less than perfect husband, but said he was working on his marriage and didn't kill his wife. He said he was asleep in a Hampton Inn in Hillsville, Virginia when the murder occurred. Prosecutors said he had time to drive back to Raleigh, kill Michelle, and then drive back again.
wake county, homicide, jason young, local/state
- Possible tornado damage reported in Franklin County 6 min ago
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Wake County Schools name new superintendent 29 min ago
- Did Wake Co teacher encourage bullying?
- UNC ousts Tigers from CWS with 4-2 win
- Are there repercussions to 'Moral Monday' arrests?
- Funeral services set for Southern Pines officer
- New charge for man in Raleigh hit and run
- Fayetteville man faces 139 sex charges
- Long road to recovery for child attacked by dog
- New England Patriots star to be question about a murder
- Johnson Co teacher facing sex charge
- Viewer describes possible tornado spotted...
32 min ago
- ABC11's Fred Shropshire describes...
32 min ago
- Franklin County sheriff identifies damage...
32 min ago