Perdue campaign investigation nearing end
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The state investigation into Bev Perdue's campaign for governor is nearing an end and the man in charge of that investigation said it would likely end with new charges being filed.
Wake County District Attorney Colon Willoughby told ABC11 that Governor Perdue was not under investigation nor was any other public official, but said his investigation has grown beyond where it started.
"There's certainly conduct that has given us pause and concern," he said.
Willoughby talked at length about his investigation into flights taken by then-lieutenant governor Bev Perdue that were not paid for on time - in some cases years later.
In August 2010, the North Carolina Board of Elections fined the Perdue campaign $30,000 for "flight irregularities," but then Willoughby began his own investigation and more than a year later he said his work was just a few weeks from finished.
"I think, pretty soon, the investigative part of it will be over and the only decision left will be for me to try to make decisions as to what charging decisions will be appropriate," he said.
However, Willoughby said his investigation has gone beyond just flight irregularities.
"We are looking at several different instances, some of which involve flights, some of which involve other things that we felt needed close scrutiny," he said.
Already one person close to Perdue has been charged with ''arranging and causing" an illegal contribution surrounding an unreported flight and Willoughby said more charges are likely to follow.
"I think it's probably likely that there may be other charges, but at this point, I don't feel comfortable in saying who or what," he said.
ABC11 has reached out to Governor Perdue's office, but they have not returned the calls. In the past, they have referred calls to a spokesperson for the campaign, who had more than once stressed that the governor was not under investigation - something Willoughby has confirmed.
bev perdue, local/state, jon camp
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Woman rescued from crashed van
- Durham house damaged by fire
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Man with Down syndrome learns he's...
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Power play lifts Capitals past Carolina, 4-2
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help