Pilot killed in Lee County plane crash
LEE COUNTY (WTVD) -- Authorities are investigating the crash of an experimental plane in Lee County.
The pilot, Kirk Aragon of Apex, was the only person on-board, suffering second and third degree burns over 50 percent of his body, according to Deep River Fire Chief Larry Kelly.
He was airlifted to the UNC Jaycee Burn Center in Chapel Hill where he later died, according to hospital officials.
The plane crashed around 12:30 p.m. in a heavily wooded area at the dead-end of Breezewood Road, near Forest Oaks Road. According to FAA spokesperson Jim Peters, the crash site is one-and-a-half miles north of the Raleigh Executive Jetport, which is located at the Sanford-Lee County Airport.
Nearby residents rushed to the crash scene to help. Leola Carter said the pilot's clothes were still on fire when she reached him.
"I heard the plane coming over, and then I heard a loud pop," she said. "And right away, I knew it had to be that plane. By the time I got to the door, the smoke ... I saw smoke.
Those who rushed to the scene, were able to pull Aragon from the wreckage.
Authorites said Aragon was trying to land, but it's not clear why he crashed.
The FAA said the aircraft was a Velocity RG, which was built using a kit.
lee county, plane crash, local/state
- Gov. McCrory declares state of emergency 20 min ago
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car 16 min ago
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Amber Alert issued for missing 11-year-old girl
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help