Sanford debuts new Caterpillar plant
SANFORD (WTVD) -- Friday morning, Governor Bev Perdue was on hand for the grand opening of the new Caterpillar plant.
The 270,000 square foot facility is home to the expansion of Caterpillar's compact construction equipment operations in Sanford.
"This is a company that makes things ... glad they decided to expand in Sanford, North Carolina," Perdue said.
The grand opening is just the first phase of the project; the expanded facility will be fully operational by 2015.
"Obviously, we competed very aggressively to have them to select this new site to manufacture equipment and today's a glorious day ... 325 new jobs, new families will have a way to support their families," Perdue said.
Those jobs will be phased in over a five-year period.
In addition to the expansion, Caterpillar is also planning to build a new facility in Winston-Salem, which will bring in about 400 jobs.
lee county, jobs, local/state
- Search under way for missing swimmer in Hope Mills 56 min ago
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Interactive Hurricane Tracking Map
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- McCrory signs repeal of Racial Justice Act
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini has died
- Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
- Stocks slide as Fed says bond purchases could slow
- NC first lady urges Senate action on breeder bill
- UNC-Chapel Hill holds emergency drill
- Suspected meth found near RDU airport
- Wake Forest natural gas leak capped
- Two killed, several injured in Fayetteville crash
- Tropical Storm Barry forms off Mexican coast
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos