SBI crime lab director named
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Attorney General Roy Cooper announced Friday that the interim director of the troubled State Crime Lab has been appointed to the position permanently.
Joseph R. John, Sr. was given the interim job last October.
"Judge John is a skillful leader who is guiding the crime lab toward the highest standards," Cooper said in a news release. "I expect him to continue to make sure that the lab uses the latest science to pinpoint criminals and eliminate potential suspects."
The crime lab, which is part of the State Bureau of Investigation, came under fire last year when a report by independent investigators found that SBI agents helped prosecutors obtain convictions over a 16-year period by misrepresenting blood evidence and keeping critical notes from defense lawyers.
The SBI says John, a former judge, has made "significant improvements to ensure confidence in the lab’s work, including pursuing stringent new international standards."
wake county, sbi, roy cooper, local/state
- Three arrested in murder of north Raleigh mom
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC News: Boston bomber 'associate' killed by FBI
- Feds open special inspection into NC nuke plant
- Jury begins deliberating in McNeill trial
- Racial Justice Act repeal heard by NC House panel
- Cameron: 'Indications' London attack terror
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Okla. storms hit close to home for some
- Doctors struggle to save boy's hands
- Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview
- Coach K returning to US men's team