Unrelated murder case impacting cult murders
DURHAM (WTVD) -- The families of two victims in a Durham cult murder case may be one-step closer to getting custody of their loved ones' remains.
The remains of 5-year-old Jadon Higganbothan and 28-year-old Antoinetta McKoy have been tied up in legal proceedings.
Their families have said all they want to know is why they cannot have access to their loved ones' remains.
The 5-year-old and 28-year-old were found buried in the back yard of a home on Ashe Street in June. Autopsy results released earlier this month showed both had been shot in the head.
The district attorney's office requested the remains of McKoy and Higganbothan be put on hold partly because of an unrelated murder case involving Michael Dorman.
The skeletal remains of a woman Dorman was accused of killing was released to her family and cremated before the defense had a chance to examine them. Dorman's charges were later dismissed.
Because of that, defense attorneys have argued for more time to look over autopsy and other reports before McKoy's and Higganbothan's bodies are released.
Last week, the judge granted their request while all the seven murder suspects appeared in court - including so-called Black Hebrews cult leader Pete Moses.
durham county, homicide, durham police, peter moses, local/state
- Jailer to serve 90 days behind bars
- Photos: The Golden Globe nominees
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school holiday concert
- Texas teen who killed four in crash sentenced to probation
- Rash of shootings have Sanford on edge
- Bowl president: 'No doubt' about No. 22 Duke
- Pool parasite sickens high school swimmers
- Part of US 64 added to Interstate Highway System
- Lawmaker charged in state tax case out of jail
- Judge: No quick trial on NC voting law changes
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school...
- Are more Dorito-flavored foods on the way?
- Ex-President Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker
- Interpreter for Mandela event: I was hallucinating
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help