Children injured in shooting, gunman sought
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Durham Police are investigating a drive-by shooting that seriously injured two young children and a man Sunday afternoon.
Investigators said a man was shot around 1 p.m. while walking down the sidewalk in the 200 block of North Driver Street.
Bullets that missed the man travelled into a home, hitting two children.
The children's mother, Dominique Hagans, said her 1-year-old daughter Aunetistii and 3-year-old son, Anaryiion were playing in the living room.
She said she was in her kitchen preparing dinner when she first heard the gunshots.
"I heard the first gunshot and then I turned the radio down. All the kids ran into the kitchen except for my baby," Hagans said. "I ran out and she was in a pool of blood. I just picked her up.
She said her daughter was hit in the arm and grazed on the back, while her son was hit on his hand and grazed on his stomach.
"My son, he said 'Mommy, why they'd shoot me? Mommy why'd they shoot me for,'" Hagans said.
The three victims were taken to Duke University Hospital for treatment. All were seriously injured, but none of the injuries appeared to be life threatening.
It is the second shooting on the same street in the middle of the day in the past month.
Neighbors said in the past few years, there has been a lot more.
"It's a gang related thing and they didn't get who they wanted to, so they'll be back out here doing it again," neighbor Tiffany McCrea said.
Police are still searching for the suspect or suspects involved in Sunday afternoon's incident.
A CrimeStoppers reward is offered for information leading to an arrest in connection with the incident.
Anyone with information is asked to call Investigator C. Cook with the Durham Police Department at (919) 560-4281 or CrimeStoppers at (919) 682-1200.
durham county, durham police, shooting, local/state
- Widow's wedding bands stolen in Hope Mills 22 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Manhunt for suspects in deadly luxury mall carjacking
- Police seek help solving double murder
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Multiple county chase ends in Durham 6 min ago
- Sheriff: School gunman planned to attack 5 spots
- Naked man spotted near Raleigh school
- Private ferry runs aground, injures 14
- Durham murder victim identified
- Blind man, guide dog safe after subway track fall
- Fair ride operator, owner formally indicted
- DOT looking at all 540 project paths
- NC photographer helps shelter dogs find a home
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help