Parents complain about turn lane in front of HS
JOHNSTON COUNTY (WTVD) -- Some parents told ABC11 they are outraged after a school bus crash in Johnston County Thursday morning. They say there have been too many crashes and unless something is done, it will happen again.
Jason Hamelin says he was dropping off his daughter when he saw the aftermath. Just last year he, his wife, and his daughter were in a wreck at the same location. They were T-boned as they tried to make a left turn into the school.
School officials say when the decision was made to install the turn lane, they had safety in mind. However, Hamelin say in the dark, the turn lane can be a bigger problem.
"You have the glare of the lights turning in, versus the glare of the lights on the outside lane, and it is hard to actually judge," he said.
ABC11 took Hamelin's concerns to the NC DOT, which signed off on the school's traffic safety plan.
"We take safety at schools very seriously," said Tim Little, DOT engineer.
Little says the turn lane is not ideal. Engineers wanted the entrance and the exit to the school to be in different places, but the plan for the then smaller high school was approved.
As more students have enrolled at the school, the DOT has lowered the speed limit along the road and installed more signs. However, Little says Thursday's crash could lead to more changes.
"We will do everything possible to improve the entrances and exits at all these school sites across the country," he added.
Parents, who would like to complain about the turn lane, can call the DOT division office in Wilson at (252) 237-6164.
johnston county, school bus accident, iteam, local/state, jon camp
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes hungry 17 min ago
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- Man charged with stealing names, SS numbers from soldiers 42 min ago
- Man struck, killed on I-95 in Selma
- Shearon Harris back in operation
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Appeal to be heard in Jason Young case 56 min ago
- Police: Teen in custody shot himself
- Pilot who crashed at SFO worried about landing
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Prosecutor: no domestic charges against Zimmerman
- Wake schools bus shows up hours late
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes...
16 min ago
- Uptick in flu cases in Triangle
22 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help