Police: Alleged ECU gunman was carrying umbrella
GREENVILLE (WTVD) -- Reports of a man carrying a gun near East Carolina University's campus caused an uproar Wednesday.
The university was placed on lockdown for several hours, as police officers with weapons drawn canvassed the campus.
ECU officials sent out alerts to faculty, staff and students around 10 a.m. after getting two 911 calls reporting the suspicious man.
They looked at surveillance video on a busy thoroughfare through the heart of campus, and spotted a man with what appeared to be a gun sticking out of a backpack.
After an intense search, the Greenville Police Department caught up with the man and learned he didn't have a weapon - it was an umbrella.
Authorities said rumors spreading on social media sites created great obstacles for police, causing them to "chase ghosts."
"Through Facebook and Twitter, things started to develop. Obviously, a bunch of rumors were going around. So honestly, I think people on campus didn't know what to believe," said student Matt Edward.
"When you do things that cause fictitious information to go out, it hinders the actual efforts of police agency. It actually delays us, and that's finding the person we're looking for," said Sgt. Carlton Williams with the Greenville Police Department.
ECU Chancellor Steve Ballard said in a statement Wednesday that the university was "relieved that the reports of this incident turned out to be unfounded."
"East Carolina University will always err on the side of campus safety when these situations arise," Ballard went on to say in the statement. "Our response by faculty, staff, and students was timely and professional. We appreciate the concern of the parents of our students, as well as the cooperative efforts of the Greenville Police Department and the Pitt County Sherriff's Office as the university responded to this incident."
Greenville is about 85 miles east of Raleigh.
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Woman rescued from crashed van
- Durham house damaged by fire
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Man with Down syndrome learns he's...
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Power play lifts Capitals past Carolina, 4-2 25 min ago
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help