Crash report shows trooper went airborne
DURHAM (WTVD) -- The North Carolina Highway Patrol released its report on a collision involving one of its officers Thursday.
The crash Nov. 26 in Durham sent three people to the hospital, including the state trooper.
According to investigators, Trooper David Haithcock was on his way to assist another officer who was pursuing a suspected drunk driver.
The report shows Haithcock was travelling at 70 mph westbound on Interstate 85 with the lights and siren activated on his unmarked cruiser. Haithcock exited I-85 at North Duke St. and drove onto the shoulder to avoid traffic that was stopped at the light at the end of the exit.
Investigators said Haithcock lost control, hit a traffic light control box and a ditch before his car went airborne. It travelled across six lanes of Duke Street before hitting a car driven by 63-year-old Alice Fae Mullis.
Mullis's son told ABC11 after the accident that she suffered a broken hip and pelvis in the crash. Mullis's sister suffered less serious injuries. Trooper Haithock was treated and released from the hospital.
North Carolina Highway Patrol Sgt. Jeff Gordon called the accident regrettable and said the Highway Patrol has reached out to the Mullis family.
He said officers have to balance the danger of speeding with the potential danger someone else may pose to the public.
"We are in emergency traffic mode. We are trying to help out a situation where someone is trying to cause greater harm to the motoring public. So in those instances, you have to exceed the posted speed limit," he explained.
Gordon said the last thing any officer wants is to be involved in a crash.
"Unfortunately he did speed and lose control of the car and hit another car. It is regrettable, but we do what we're trained to do, and that's help people in need," said Gordon.
The Mullis family said it's considering taking legal action over the accident.
durham county, accident, nc highway patrol, local/state
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Durham hosts Special Olympic bowlers 12 min ago
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash
- Paul Walker memorial expected to draw thousands
- Snow, ice, deep-freeze hit large swath of US
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Panthers, Saints seek control of NFC South race
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Man trapped in empty dark plane cabin at Houston airport
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help