Toll road opens
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Following a ribbon cutting Thursday morning, drivers began trying out the first 3.5-mile section of Triangle Expressway toll highway.
The first toll road in the state, it runs from Interstate 40 and the Durham Freeway south to Highway 540 between Highways 54 and 55.
For now, the road will be free until January before drivers will have to pay.
Phase two of the project will run from Highway 55 all the way to U.S. 64. It will open in August. At that point, the toll will extend from Highway 54 all the way to Apex.
For information about the Triangle Parkway visit: http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/triangleexpressway/triangleparkway.html.
For more information on how to get a NC Quick Pass for tolls, visit: www.myncquickpass.com
durham county, wake county, transportation, 540 triangle expressway, local/state
- Search for missing swimmer to resume Thursday
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Interactive Hurricane Tracking Map
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- NWS confirms Franklin County tornado
- Wake superintendent named, controversy begins
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini has died
- Former TWA Flight 800 investigators want new probe
- Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
- Stocks slide as Fed says bond purchases could slow
- NC first lady urges Senate action on breeder bill
- UNC-Chapel Hill holds emergency drill
- Suspected meth found near RDU airport
- Wake Forest natural gas leak capped