Missing Johnston Co. man found dead in VA
RICHMOND, V.A. (WTVD) -- Investigators in Richmond, Virginia say a body pulled from the James River is that of a missing Johnston County man.
The remains of 23-year-old Matthew Williams were found in a canal less than a block away from where lived.
Williams had been missing since mid-December.
Since then, there has been an extensive search along the canal. Divers have been in the water almost every day since he disappeared last month.
Three men have been charged in connection with a burglary at Williams' apartment that occurred the night he was last seen. But the Richmond Police Department said Monday that detectives do not suspect foul play and are not actively searching for any suspects.
The Medical Examiner’s Office will determine the cause and manner of death, police said.
Williams had moved to the Richmond area from North Carolina in November. He was reported missing to police on Dec. 14.
johnston county, local/state
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Duke senior killed in Florida crash
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape Fear River
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- No. 7 Duke escapes against Clemson, 63-62
- NC State upsets Syracuse 66-63
- Pittsburgh beats No. 15 UNC 80-75