Wake student assignment plan to move forward
CARY, N.C. (WTVD) -- Wake County School Board members said Tuesday night they'll move forward with a controversial student assignment plan despite concerns voiced by some new board members.
That means parents will begin the first phase of choice selections Jan. 17 as planned.
At a meeting last week, some newly elected board members picked apart and questioned the sustainability of the new student assignment plan. One member called the plan "unsustainable."
The plan is supposed to give parents their choice of schools based on where they live, but some parents and board members said they are concerned some of those schools are already full.
Parents also expressed that their choice of schools are not as close as they should be.
The new school board had discussed tossing out the plan altogether and starting over, but after meeting for hours Tuesday with district staffers, opted not to make any changes. Superintendent Tony Tata reassured the board that the plan can be tweaked along the way to ensure it succeeds.
wake county schools, wake county, local/state, alina machado
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Duke senior killed in Florida crash
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape Fear River
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- No. 7 Duke escapes against Clemson, 63-62 25 min ago
- NC State upsets Syracuse 66-63
- Pittsburgh beats No. 15 UNC 80-75