Slain former deputy laid to rest
CEDAR GROVE, N.C. (WTVD) -- A former Orange County sheriff's deputy, murdered last week, was laid to rest on Sunday.
Alexander "Skip" Wade and Cedar Grove storeowner Phillip Johnson were shot to death last Wednesday inside Johnson's store.
The body of 68-year-old Wade made its way to Mount Zion AME Church while fellow law enforcement officers, friends, and family overwhelmed the church to pay tribute to the slain former deputy.
"It's been hard, because anytime we have a family gathering you know, he's there," said relative Angela Rockett. "He's always the life of the party."
Wade's family said they struggle with his murder as authorities continue to investigate what happened at The Week in Treasures store.
"It's very sad, and it's very hard to take in what happened," said Desaray Rockett.
On Friday, deputies arrested two men in connection with the murder.
Curtis K White Jr, 18, of Allie Mae Road, Cedar Grove and Ladell Alverez Faucette, 22 of Apsley Drive, McLeansville are both charged with two counts of first-degree murder and one count of robbery with a dangerous weapon.
White and Faucette allegedly took a cash drawer with $200 from the store.
Investigators have also charged White and Faucette in a robbery that happened the day before at a Sam's Food Mart located at 6321 U.S. Hwy. 70 West in Mebane. According to warrants obtained by ABC11, they threatened a clerk with a gun and took a cash drawer with $500 in it.
Both White and Faucette are being held in Central Prison for safekeeping since Wade was a former deputy.
local/state, steve dorsey
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide