Henderson residents complain about water fees
HENDERSON, N.C. (WTVD) -- Hundreds of families in Vance County have been without water this week because they couldn't pay their bills.
Some people said officials in Henderson are going overboard especially in the tough economic times.
Customers told ABC11 that if you are late, by even a day, your water is turned off and you have to pay a late fee and then a deposit. Depending on location, the deposit could be $150 to $200.
"I just think people heard this and may not have realized that this was going to happen," said Henderson City Manager Ray Griffin.
Griffin said he understands the frustrations of some customers but he said they've been letting people know for up to six months.
Nearly 400 people have had their water turned off within the last week. The outrage over the water shutoffs has led the city to considering amending their policy.
Griffin said since they've started this program, more than $100,000 in security deposits and unpaid water bills have been paid.
There will be a city council meeting on Monday to discuss possible changes to the new policy.
vance county, local/state, kelli o'hara
- Tractor trailer collides with SUV in Johnston County 59 min ago
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- After nearly 30 years, Camp Lejeune coming clean
- Landing gear issue leads to plane's belly landing
- Rumor: Beyonce pregnant?
- Raleigh holds annual backyard chicken coops tour
- NC beach town celebrates 50th anniversary
- More salmonella cases reported in Fayetteville
- Deputies shoot, kill female suspect
- Child attacked by pit bull dog
- Friend: Murdered mom deleted Facebook due to ex-husband
- Conn. commuter trains collide; 60 go to hospitals
- Eric Staal returns to Raleigh for MRI
1 min ago