Three children killed in house fire
JACKSONVILLE, NC (WTVD) -- Three children died early Thursday in an Onslow County house fire.
WCTI-TV spoke with witnesses who reported the blaze started just after 5 a.m. on Highway 17 on the outskirts of Jacksonville near the intersection with Old Maplehurst Road.
Samuel and Johnetta Pittman rented the home.
There were a total of nine people in the home - eight children and their mother, Johnetta. Samuel Pittman was at work at the time.
Officials said that 7-year-old Gabriel, 9-year-old Elijah and 12-year-old Tabitha died in the fire.
Johnathan, 4, was treated and released. Hanna, 10, was taken to the UNC Burn Center. Samantha, 16, and Adrianne and Gabrielle, both 14, were taken to New Hanover Regional Medical Center. Johnetta was also taken to UNC.
Two deputies responding to the fire were treated for smoke inhalation.
onslow county, fire, local/state, alina machado
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day
- McNeill found guilty of first-degree murder
- NC NAACP calls for June 3 rally for next protest
- 5.7-magnitude quake widely felt across N. Calif.
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on marijuana charge
- Father sought after baby found with burns
- Gray seal spending time on NC beaches
- Charlotte mom has son jailed for stealing Pop Tarts
- Police investigate Durham bank robbery
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty