Zeller named Academic All-America of the Year
TOWSON, Md. (WTVD) -- Tyler Zeller is one of the lead candidates for ACC Player of the Year, but the UNC senior earned recognition for his work off the court. He was named the 2012 Capital One Academic All-America Division I Men's Basketball Teams.
Zeller is a business administration major and carries a 3.62 grade point average.
This is not the first time Zeller has been honored for his academic achievements. He made the first team in 2011 as well. He made history Thursday by being the first two-time Academic All-America first team selection in the Tar Heels' storied basketball history.
In addition, Zeller was the ACC's Basketball Scholar Athlete of the Year in 2011.
Duke junior Mason Plumlee joined Zeller on the First Team Academic All-America with a 3.44 GPA while double majoring in psychology and cultural anthropology.
Two of the N.C. State women have also been recognized. Junior Marissa Kastanek is a second team Academic All-America with a 4.0 in psychology. Her teammate sophomore Kody Burke is made the third team with a 3.95 in management.
unc basketball, local/state
- Police: Teen had gunshot residue on hands
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Lawmakers get legal help with NC marriage case
- Community rallies around couple after fire
- Foul weather threatens to snarl holiday travel
- Newlyweds ordered to trial in Craigslist slaying
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for America
- Troubleshooter tackles Raleigh parking ticket
- Police: Fake Salvation Army bell ringer arrested
- Prosecutors: Owner bypassed ride safety mechanism
- Armed Forces Salute: The Bauer Family
46 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help