Zeller named Academic All-America of the Year
TOWSON, Md. (WTVD) -- Tyler Zeller is one of the lead candidates for ACC Player of the Year, but the UNC senior earned recognition for his work off the court. He was named the 2012 Capital One Academic All-America Division I Men's Basketball Teams.
Zeller is a business administration major and carries a 3.62 grade point average.
This is not the first time Zeller has been honored for his academic achievements. He made the first team in 2011 as well. He made history Thursday by being the first two-time Academic All-America first team selection in the Tar Heels' storied basketball history.
In addition, Zeller was the ACC's Basketball Scholar Athlete of the Year in 2011.
Duke junior Mason Plumlee joined Zeller on the First Team Academic All-America with a 3.44 GPA while double majoring in psychology and cultural anthropology.
Two of the N.C. State women have also been recognized. Junior Marissa Kastanek is a second team Academic All-America with a 4.0 in psychology. Her teammate sophomore Kody Burke is made the third team with a 3.95 in management.
unc basketball, local/state
- Majority of number combos picked for Powerball pot
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- Tanker truck collides with SUV in Johnston County 54 min ago
- Inmate escapes from NC prison, found 4 miles away
- 2 charged with murder in Rocky Mount shooting
- Army investigates 23-year-old paratrooper's death
- Another mugging reported at Durham bank
- Man, granddaughter killed in Wayne County crash
- Pedestrian hit, killed in Fayetteville
- Illinois Lottery bounced checks for 8 winners
- Eric Staal's MRI reveals good news for Caniacs
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos