Tornado victims worry about severe weather
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- It's been almost a year since tornadoes ripped through Fayetteville. The storms destroyed hundreds of homes and businesses.
So the threat of severe weather Friday had many people on edge especially in neighborhoods that suffered damage. The storms blew apart neighborhoods and left many in shock.
"I survived the war when I was in. I was hoping I would always be able to survive the tornadoes that come through," said tornado survivor Jack Dulgar.
Dulgar is a retired soldier with 23 years service including deployments to three wars.
His new home in the Cottonade subdivision, off Yadkin Road, replaced his old one which was blown away last April.
The threat of new storms had him worried sick.
"I just had everything fixed up, looking decent -- new driveway and new grass and everything," said Dulgar. "I got it looking really good and now another storm is going to come and possibly destroy this?"
It's been almost a year and while some people have rebuilt, other homes still have damage and are covered by blue tarps.
"You can't stop it," said Barbara Spencer. "So, you just have to let go, live and go on. You can't let things bother you."
The April tornadoes killed 24 people in North Carolina.
cumberland county, tornado video/images, local/state
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes hungry 14 min ago
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- Fatal pedestrian accident in Selma 1 min ago
- Wake schools bus shows up hours late
- NC lawmaker charged in state tax case resigns
- Ex-NC State coach pleads guilty to tax charges
- Victim in Durham apartment shooting dies
- Car hits CAT bus, injuries reported
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Teachers union files suit challenging school voucher law
- Car crashes on Glenwood Avenue during chase
- Musical of film 'Bull Durham' to hit the stage
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help