Students want action after K-ville burglaries
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Duke University students want police to address their security concerns at Krzyzewskiville after some bizarre burglary attempts at the tent city for diehard Duke fans.
Courtside seats at Cameron Indoor Stadium don't come easy. Duke students have to earn it. The best seats in the house go those who put weeks or months sleeping in tents for tickets in Duke's on-campus tent city that over the weekend turned crime scene.
"It's a shame," said Duke senior Stephanie Weiss. "It's such a positive experience for the most part, that someone would do that."
It happened Saturday at K-ville. Two suspected thieves were spotted rummaging through students tents, including Kevin Ngyuen's. Kevin's friend caught the burglars red handed.
"My friend called the police and, when they came back, they were in my tent trying to take things," said Nguyen.
Kevin said it got even more bizarre when Duke police tracked down the suspects.
"They told me 'here's the catch, they're actually a middle-aged Asian couple.' Apparently they had Ph.Ds and, at a university, you might assume they are faculty."
When ABC11 spoke to Duke police, they would neither confirm nor deny the suspects were Duke faculty or staffers.
And so far, there have been no arrests. The whole thing is leaving the Cameron crazies concerned about their K-ville security.
"It isn't a dorm. It isn't a building. It's outside," said Weiss. "There are no locks obviously on the tents. So to be fair, [it's] probably good to take precautions regardless."
Duke police told students they couldn't make an arrest because the suspects didn't have possession of the stolen items when they were caught.
duke, durham county, local/state, joel brown
- Authorities investigating fatal shooting 33 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Authorities investigating shooting at gas station 33 min ago
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help