Chance of strong thunderstorms diminish
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A cold front is heading our way. That same front sliced through the Tennessee Valley and was responsible for severe weather as it moved east Tuesday night and into Wednesday with deadly tornadoes.
The best chance of more widespread showers and thunderstorms will be overnight when a cold front moves through and runs into the moist air.
"Scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms will last through 3 or 4 a.m., then clearing," said ABC11 Chief Meteorologist Chris Hohmann. "The chance of severe weather is very low, but not zero. An isolated damaging wind gust is possible, most if not all areas will see nothing severe. It will be breezy though, with southwest winds gusting to 20 or 25 miles per hour."
Thursday will turn out to be a mostly sunny day, and the area will be in a very warm air mass coming off the Appalachians. With the help of sunshine, afternoon temperatures will top out near 80 and the record high for Thursday is 82 set in 1997.
The front that moves through tonight will stall to the south and move north on Friday bringing with it more clouds again and even a shower or a bit of rain. Friday will be cooler than tomorrow but still mild for the time of year with high temperatures in the middle to upper 60s.
A storm moving through California Wednesday will march east to bring a cold front through the region on Saturday. Showers and thunderstorms will be likely on the first day of the weekend, and there is the potential for a strong thunderstorm. Behind that front, Sunday and Monday will be much cooler, but dry, with sunshine.
local/state, chris hohmann
- Ice, rain, wind causing flooding, delays, outages 5 min ago
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Don't worry, guacamole safe from climate change
- Airline passenger leaves nasty note for pilot
- Man accused of taking doctor's identity surrenders
- Durham crime numbers show mixed results
- Sinclair to face 15 year sentence, plea offer accepted
- NCCU students take part in Match Madness
- NC terror suspect says he's being tortured
- Man charged in fatal hit-and-run gets lower bond
- Road rage incident leads to gun being shown
- Coach K released from hospital after game
- More evidence presented in Teghan Skiba murder case
- EU slaps initial sanctions on Russia
- The latest ABC11 First Alert Weather forecast
29 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help