Thieves target open houses
CARY, N.C. (WTVD) -- Police in two Wake County communities are investigating robberies during open houses.
Cary police say two houses were hit on Sunday. They are now working with Apex authorities to try to catch the suspect.
Apex police believe the same man hit three homes there earlier this month, stealing more than $18,000 of jewelry. They say the thefts happened while the homes were being shown during open houses in the Scotts Mill and Walden Creek subdivisions.
On Sunday, two homes were hit in Cary, including one in the Preston subdivision.
"We came home after the open house. We were talking to the realtor. A police man came to the door," said theft victim David Hornbeck. "We invited him in and he mentioned there had been some houses in the area that had had open houses that had been burglarized and were we missing anything."
The Hornbecks then checked their bedroom, and realized several pieces of gold jewelry were missing.
"I didn't think that somebody would have stolen anything," said Hornbeck. "When I went upstairs, it was more just to make myself feel good and then when it was gone and I knew exactly where it was at, I was like, why would somebody do that?"
Anyone with information on the robberies should contact police.
wake county, robbery, local/state, alina machado
- Search under way for missing swimmer in Hope Mills 30 min ago
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Interactive Hurricane Tracking Map
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- McCrory signs repeal of Racial Justice Act 48 min ago
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini has died 46 min ago
- Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
- Stocks slide as Fed says bond purchases could slow
- NC first lady urges Senate action on breeder bill
- UNC-Chapel Hill holds emergency drill
- Suspected meth found near RDU airport
- Wake Forest natural gas leak capped
- Two killed, several injured in Fayetteville crash
- Tropical Storm Barry forms off Mexican coast
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos