Local/State

Teacher at center of lunch controversy suspended

Wednesday, March 07, 2012

The teacher involved in a Hoke County school lunch controversy has been suspended.

Last month, the family of a pre-k student said the little girl was given chicken nuggets to replace the turkey sandwich that she brought from home.

Since the story made headlines locally and across the country, the school district has been investigating.

The Carolina Journal obtained a letter sent to parents by Assistant Superintendent Bob Barnes telling them in part, "We recently experienced an unfortunate situation where a failure to follow district policy resulted in the substitution of a pre-k student's lunch."

The letter goes on to say a substitute will be teaching class until they resolve the issue.

The girl's mother has said she doesn't want to see the teacher punished.

Instead, she blames the government for implementing guidelines that take away parents' rights to determine what foods are best for their children.

School district officials did not comment to ABC11 or return our calls Tuesday.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook

(Copyright ©2014 WTVD-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more Local/State »


Tags:
hoke county, local/state
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement