Headmaster threatens to sue accusers
ZEBULON, N.C. (WTVD) -- An attorney for East Wake Academy Headmaster Brandon Smith told ABC11 Friday that his client has been defamed and lawsuits are forthcoming.
The move came after two school employees came forward with sexual battery allegations. Smith was placed on administrative leave Wednesday following a closed-door meeting of the school's board.
The Zebulon Police Department is investigating, but no charges have been filed.
Contacted by ABC11 Wednesday, Smith told ABC11 he has not harmed anyone.
A statement from his attorney Friday said in part: "We are still in the process of investigating all of the facts. However, from what we have determined thus far, we are confident that Brandon Smith has been defamed and we anticipate filing lawsuits against the offending parties as early as next week."
It's not the first time Smith has faced a similar allegation.
According to court documents obtained by ABC11, a former chorus teacher at Githens Middle School in Durham filed a lawsuit against the Durham County Board of Education and Smith in 2001 alleging he repeatedly harassed her beginning in 1998 when he was principal at the school. The two sides reached a confidential agreement and the case was dismissed.
Smith became headmaster at East Wake Academy in 2002.
wake county, local/state
- Suspect in Wake Forest kidnapping captured
- Blast on site of explosives plants kills 1
- Easter butter lamb gets 'pardon' at Buffalo market 40 min ago
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Photos: Outer Banks store burns
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets
- Man shot outside Fayetteville grocery store
- Former teacher faces charges
- Big rig crashes through front of pharmacy
- Gas prices on the rise; still lower than last Easter
- Nurseries, homeowners take steps to protect plants
- Troubleshooter investigates Papa John's dough
- Wake sounds alarm on teacher shortage
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works 39 min ago